Asus ROG Strix X570-E + 4000Mhz DDR4

Bcspd
Level 7
Hi,

I recently purchased:
Asus ROG Strix X570-E
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Corsair 2x16GB DDR4 4000Mhz 19-23-23-45

The PC will not post. All fans and lights spin up and it looks and sounds just fine but I'm getting a black screen on boot. The white VGA light on the MB is on and the debug leds hang at code 36. If I long hold the power button to power off and power up again the code leds will flash 00 repeatedly. So I've been using the power switch on the PSU instead.

White VGA led + black screen would seem to suggest the graphics card was not found. 5900x doesn't have an integrated GPU so I'm wondering if that's simply why that light is on? I've tried:

1. Using 4/5 different graphics cards - 2080TI (which I'm typing with now), a Titan X, 670 and some older cards I don't remember the name of.
2. Three different port interfaces, HDMI, DVI and display port.
3. Three different screens.

Post code 36 is according to the manual 'Post memory initialization'.
16GB sticks are not a part of the QVL - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...for_AMD_Ryzen_5000_Series_Processors_X570.pdf
but 8GB sticks are and I have 4x8GB sticks with the same CAS timings in my old rig (which are on the QVL) so tried using those as well but the result is the same.

Things I have also tried:
1. Unplugged everything except 24pin + 8pin power, CPU, 1 stick of memory.
2. Moved the graphics card to the other PCIe slot.
3. Reseated everything several times.
4. Cleared CMOS via jumper pins.
5. Flashed the bios with the latest version (3001) using flashback. I have to assume it worked as there's no screen. But the USB light does flash for several minutes indicating files being read.
6. Pulled the battery.

I have since returned the motherboard and CPU to Overclockers UK. Their technician tested it and found no fault. The only difference in their setup was the RAM. Unfortunately the tech did not specify what kind of RAM they used.

Now, as I've said above I have tried 2 sets of RAM in this PC. The new set I purchased and the set from my old pc which are respectively:
1. Corsair 2x16GB DDR4 4000Mhz 19-23-23-45
2. Corsair 4x8GB DDR4 4000Mhz 19-23-23-45

And neither worked. The first set is not a part of the QVL but the second set IS. I've tried the new 2x16GB in my old PC and on first boot it did not post either. But after rebooting the motherboard used fallback settings of 2666Mhz which allowed me to configure the settings.

TLDR: Could someone please double check that the Asus ROG Strix X570-E boots with default BIOS settings with this type of RAM (4000Mhz 19-23-23-45). The motherboard appears to not be falling back to a frequency/settings that work if the pc fails to boot.

PS: Unfortunately, due to the delay in getting my hands on the CPU the Ram is already passed the period where I can return it. So I'm kind of stuck with it. Surely this motherboard should boot with this RAM if my 3 year old Maximus Hero IX can?!
19 REPLIES 19

So time for a little rant. Not that it matters all that much since nobody from asus actually reads these forums it seems. But it might help others.

Bought a new motherboard. An MSI x570 carbon. Installed a new CPU but the same model (5900x). New because overclockers customer service is terrible but that's a side rant.
Installed exactly the same RAM, GPU and PSU.
Booted first time, no issues. As you'd expect from a high cost motherboard. Even though MSI's was cheaper.

So I'd like to thank asus for wasting my time and money. I'll be sure to avoid asus products from now on. Cancelled my 3080 strix order on foot of this.

tldr: think twice before purchasing asus. And that's coming from someone who's been buying and recommending asus stuff for a long time.

PS. Might want to actually provide support on your support forum and not rely solely and lazily on support provided by the community (good as they are).

Setting a 4000MHZ ram with xmp profile won't set fabric to 2000, at least is not set for my 4000 ram

Bcspd wrote:
So time for a little rant. Not that it matters all that much since nobody from asus actually reads these forums it seems. But it might help others.

Bought a new motherboard. An MSI x570 carbon. Installed a new CPU but the same model (5900x). New because overclockers customer service is terrible but that's a side rant.
Booted first time, no issues. As you'd expect from a high cost motherboard. Even though MSI's was cheaper.

So I'd like to thank asus for wasting my time and money. I'll be sure to avoid asus products from now on. Cancelled my 3080 strix order on foot of this.

tldr: think twice before purchasing asus. And that's coming from someone who's been buying and recommending asus stuff for a long time.

PS. Might want to actually provide support on your support forum and not rely solely and lazily on support provided by the community (good as they are).

lol, the carbon is a much worse board, poor vrm perf and no add in temp sensor. I know cuz I own one too. I mean its a decent board but not for retail or anything close to it. The first one I got had defective usb ports...

And as mentioned above, setting xmp over 3600mhz doesn't change the fclk. Here is where the ugly truth about the MSI comes into play, you won't know how it actually takes the ram because they use a silent memory reset so instead of two hard locks (then warning) it soft resets (doesn't notify the user) and boots so YOU think it's working but it's not cuz it set ram to 2133mhz. How do I know, cuz I own one too. I was pulling my hair out at first wondering wtf is wrong with the board cuz it won't take the ram settings... then duh I realized the way the board reacts specifically to failures, by soft resetting the ram speed/settings. That's why it boots every time lol.

I ain't singing MSI praises either. Their build quality is questionable.... An m2 screw socket just came away from the pcb when I unscrewed it's captive screw.

But at least MSI actually posted. Not once did asus post.

There's another thread here somewhere with a guy that had the same problem as me with the same specs. He narrowed it down to some incompatibility problem with the AX1200i. But again it works with MSI so.... 'worse' board is a matter of perspective.

Frankly, I'm not satisfied with either manufacturer right now.

Bcspd wrote:
I ain't singing MSI praises either. Their build quality is questionable.... An m2 screw socket just came away from the pcb when I unscrewed it's captive screw.

But at least MSI actually posted. Not once did asus post.

There's another thread here somewhere with a guy that had the same problem as me with the same specs. He narrowed it down to some incompatibility problem with the AX1200i. But again it works with MSI so.... 'worse' board is a matter of perspective.

Frankly, I'm not satisfied with either manufacturer right now.

I wonder if there's a disconnect here. You're trying to boot at 4000mhz. The msi doesn't work either but its soft reset sets ram to 2133 w/o notification instead of 4000. And it seems you keep ignoring the fact that ram/fclk speed is dependent upon the cpu not the motherboard.

Bcspd wrote:

Hello,

1. For best performance, a 1:1 ratio on FClock is crucial.

2. 2000FCLK is out of the range of a vast majority of CPU samples, I'm not sure what drew you to a 4GHz memory kit if looking for plug and play compatibility.

3. The discerning factor here is you were likely trying to run 1:1 on the Strix, as by default, this is where the best performance is. A memory stability screen grab with the FCLK and memory running at 1:1 may go some way to validate your point.

If the board was failing to pass POST after clearing the UEFI, then this indicates an issue outside of the above with your particular setup.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

MKEEN
Level 9
Did any of you read what he "actually" said? the PC won't POST! so no access to the bios.... man, how hard is that to understand? no wonder he's given up.....
I had similar issues, but the latest bios allowed me to boot, of which I set ram setting etc... if he can't get into the bios he has no chance...

That said, I won't be buying an asus motherboard again (I've only ever brought asus, 3 boards, 3 GC's), even after sorting out the bios/ram settings, I had to flash it back to the first bios that supported my 5800x, the only bios which is stable at stock, checked my cpu and ram in a friends pc, msi board, works fine!

Asus has gone downhill yet still charge the premium.

MKEEN wrote:
Did any of you read what he "actually" said? the PC won't POST! so no access to the bios.... man, how hard is that to understand? no wonder he's given up.....
I had similar issues, but the latest bios allowed me to boot, of which I set ram setting etc... if he can't get into the bios he has no chance...

That said, I won't be buying an asus motherboard again (I've only ever brought asus, 3 boards, 3 GC's), even after sorting out the bios/ram settings, I had to flash it back to the first bios that supported my 5800x, the only bios which is stable at stock, checked my cpu and ram in a friends pc, msi board, works fine!

Asus has gone downhill yet still charge the premium.

Yea, that's not how I read it. But if one does literally read it like that then the board would be defective and that would be the end of that.

I understand and appreciate this point BUT my point is that shouldn't the board fallback to safe settings (lower frequency) if it initially is unable to post? This has been the way with every modern motherboard I've used in the last 10-15 years. This board does not appear to do that.

^^Replying to another poster regarding 4000nhz XMP.

I read it as the OP setting his XMP and it not booting which is what he wrote anyways. OP didn't even bother to look in the bios under the memory timings to see the default behavior of the failsafe is two post failures and then it will reset to default settings. OP didn't wait long enough and went straight to complaining. And it is really presumptuious to assume a 4000mhz XMP will just boot, because 99.9% of the time it won't. And on the MSI board, as I wrote it has a soft failover where it won't crash, it'll just load 2133mhz default and IT DOESN'T TELL YOU, so you think it's working when its not.

OP didn't even bother to look in the bios under the memory timings to see the default behavior of the failsafe is two post failures and then it will reset to default settings. OP didn't wait long enough and went straight to complaining.

*Sigh*
Do you really actually think I booted the board ONCE and immediately gave up and started complaining? Seriously?
That's utter nonsense. I spent an entire day hunched over that board. I can assure you, I reset it more than once.
This ain't my first rodeo.

Not once did it POST. Ever.

Doesn't matter. Issue 'resolved' by refunding it.
Thread can be locked.

Bcspd wrote:
*Sigh*
Do you really actually think I booted the board ONCE and immediately gave up and started complaining? Seriously?
That's utter nonsense. I spent an entire day hunched over that board. I can assure you, I reset it more than once.
This ain't my first rodeo.

Not once did it POST. Ever.

Mate, some people just don't listen, glad you got your money back and got something else..... AND IT WORKED AS IT SHOULD.