cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Crosshair VIII 3101 Beta Bios out !

Riplex
Level 7
111 REPLIES 111

Local Microcenter recently had some 5900X in stock so I thought I'd give 3101 a try....

Installed 3101 this afternoon - shortly afterward I started several Handbrake encodes...and now have 100+ WHEA-Logger errors.

I'm using exactly the same settings I use on 2206 and get rock solid stability.

The errors are all identical:
A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Unknown Error Source
Error Type: No Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information.

Details are identical as well aside from the time stamps.

If I had a stable platform, I'd be jumping at the opportunities to get a 5900X. Every 5000-series BIOS (2311 to current) has exhibited the same problems. The 5900X really makes sense for the workloads I'll be doing going forward but I can't give up a 100% stable system for one that is consistently unstable.... 😞

karmal wrote:
Okay, I'll have to resign myself to keeping my 128GB ram at 3000mhz

If it helps, I have a C8F and I am stable with my 4x8Gb 4000Mhz downclocked to 3800Mhz and bios 3101. To reach stability I had to change the dram and vdd voltages as per recommended suggestions from Ryzen DRAM Calculator, but nothing else.

Kelutrel wrote:
If it helps, I have a C8F and I am stable with my 4x8Gb 4000Mhz downclocked to 3800Mhz and bios 3101. To reach stability I had to change the dram and vdd voltages as per recommended suggestions from Ryzen DRAM Calculator, but nothing else.

what voltages did you use I tried the bios 2311 2702 3003 raising the vsoc and dram a bit without results but I also have 128 gb of ram

karmal wrote:
what voltages did you use I tried the bios 2311 2702 3003 raising the vsoc and dram a bit without results but I also have 128 gb of ram

As I said, I followed religiously the recommended settings for my dram suggested by the Ryzen DRAM calculator: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/download-ryzen-dram-calculator.html

First I used the freeware version of the Thaiphoon Burner to get the specifications for my DRAM and generate the DRAM report : http://www.softnology.biz/files.html

Then I imported the report into the DRAM calculator ( following these steps: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cw3cn0/psa_use_thaiphoon_to_exportimport_your_xmp/ ) which gave me the clocks to set in the bios, and in my case suggested to set the voltages like these:
SOC Voltage: 1.125
VDDG CCD Voltage: 1.05
VDDG IOD Voltage: 1.05
cLDO VDDP Voltage: 0.950
It also gave the exact termination voltages and similar settings.

Before these changes, I was getting sudden reboots while idling on windows, now it is stable since a couple days with bios 3101. I understand that we should not have to do this kind of tinkering to have the DRAM working as intended, but this may work for you too anyway.

Kelutrel wrote:
As I said, I followed religiously the recommended settings for my dram suggested by the Ryzen DRAM calculator: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/download-ryzen-dram-calculator.html

First I used the freeware version of the Thaiphoon Burner to get the specifications for my DRAM and generate the DRAM report : http://www.softnology.biz/files.html

Then I imported the report into the DRAM calculator ( following these steps: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cw3cn0/psa_use_thaiphoon_to_exportimport_your_xmp/ ) which gave me the clocks to set in the bios, and in my case suggested to set the voltages like these:
SOC Voltage: 1.125
VDDG CCD Voltage: 1.05
VDDG IOD Voltage: 1.05
cLDO VDDP Voltage: 0.950
It also gave the exact termination voltages and similar settings.

Before these changes, I was getting sudden reboots while idling on windows, now it is stable since a couple days with bios 3101. I understand that we should not have to do this kind of tinkering to have the DRAM working as intended, but this may work for you too anyway.

i have tried in all ways at least 4 different bios and all recommended voltage settings but my ram 4 banks of 32 gb total 128 gb does not work at 3600 mhz .. now i try to scale to 3400 hz and see if I still have reboots in docp ... but I have the impression that I will have to stay 3200mhz or even 3000mhz

PolifemoXX
Level 7
I have C8 Formula with 5950x and 4x16 gb de ram @3600 Mhz (F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC). My Bios is 3003 and my system is default. My system is stable.

uplink
Level 9
3101 or something, still the same performance, but for now, the RAM works in 1900 FCLK and 3800 MHz D.O.C.P. I'll see for how long and report back.

Dicehunter
Level 10
Well your module is not listed as compatible.

Listing "kits" on QVL lists is generally pretty useless, It's much more helpful for any company to list specific module numbers for compatibility purposes as often the same "kit" can be from a different memory manufacture i.e Samsung, Hynix or Micron and on top of that have slight differences which result in stability issues, In your case not being able to run at the rated speed.

Dicehunter wrote:
Well your module is not listed as compatible.

Listing "kits" on QVL lists is generally pretty useless, It's much more helpful for any company to list specific module numbers for compatibility purposes as often the same "kit" can be from a different memory manufacture i.e Samsung, Hynix or Micron and on top of that have slight differences which result in stability issues, In your case not being able to run at the rated speed.

the chip of the kit tested by asus is Micron as in my ram kit .. everything corresponds and if they have certified it, there must be a reason otherwise it would not appear in the vendor list

karmal wrote:
the chip of the kit tested by asus is Micron as in my ram kit .. everything corresponds and if they have certified it, there must be a reason otherwise it would not appear in the vendor list

Well there will be a few reasons then -

1. Your kit is faulty - Unlikely

2. Your motherboard is faulty - Unlikely7

3. Your CPU has a weak memory controller - This one isn't uncommon, 2 identical CPU's, Even on the Intel side can have varying stable memory frequencies.

4. The bioses that Asus keep releasing are stopping you from reaching a stable clock - Unlikely especially as you said you tried multiple different bioses.

From my own experience I wouldn't run anything over 3200MHz if I had more than 32GB, If your workloads NEED more than 32GB then it's highly unlikely you'd actually see a tangible difference beyond 3200MHz in workloads that require more than 32GB.

To put it into perspective for you, My brother works in the film industry doing various graphical work including rendering, Editing etc... and all the workstations have at the bare minimum 64GB of memory, None of them run over 2933MHz for stability reasons.