cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus crosshair dark hero /5900x/ bios update question

Asryan
Level 10
Hi,

I'm still on bios 3801 on my board but because of some issues I might need to flash a new version, I read that some people are having serious issues with the 4201 and I guess I'll avoid it.

Which is the more recent and stable version then?

Thanks
51 REPLIES 51

Megascrypt
Level 7
OK thanks.

As I suggested earlier, going from scratch is the easier way to pin the source of issue, you might still want to do this, its time consuming, but that will eliminate possible hardware failure.
Why I'm suggesting clean install from scratch, because you could replace hardware, but at the end of the day, you might be back to square one and be disappointed.
I asked for screenshot because if you haven't heard before, AMD's earlier production of 5000X/5950X had B0 Stepping, it was process the way they applied thin lawyer of silicone and metal to the chip single silicone and single metal.

Nearly year later, they have changed the production process of 5000X/5950X to single lawyer of silicone and 2 lawyers of metal and therefore was B2 Stepping. AMD never said anything about what really improvements they made, but that process supposed to help thermals and for example for 5950X stock clocks were 3.4GHz and 4.6GHz now with the B2 Stepping that CPU could reach peak of 5GHz at stock, not on load, but for single core workload.

Weeks ago I have been researching about that and I came across video explaining that, but in the mid of the video it was said that with the B0 Stepping the chiplets had some issues, it was veg info, nothing further was said and for the life of me I cant find that video now, but I know from my own experience that my first 5950X was B0 Stepping and it was flaky, that doesn't mean the B0 wont perform admirable, but I'm wondering if the mentioned chiplets exhibiting issues you seen now after year, but I don't know, that's why I'm suggesting do the troubleshooting first.

Put it this way, 5950X is a good chip, but quite a bit of people had random reboots and freezes at first, so this could be related, but again, please don't just take my word for it and by first doing the extensive troubleshooting, you might find exactly the problem.

Here is mine:

Asryan
Level 10
Thanks! I didn't knew about it. Is there something wrong with mine?

What I did tonight :

Clear cmos and I'm running a memtest, pass 2/4 no error for now

Megascrypt
Level 7
In many cases when others were exhibiting issue you do, they run Memtest and it didn't show any errors. I wish I could tell you anything else, but I truly think your best course of action would be to start fresh because this way when you asked "Is there something wrong with mine? " you wont know until you eliminate everything else that could potentially cause issues e.g. windows updates, drivers compatibility other software you run or even motherboard itself who knows.

There has to be start somewhere where you can eliminate one thing at the time or you will end up spending all kind of time and even like some did replacing every single part in their PC just to end up back where they started.

Good luck.

Asryan
Level 10
Yep gonna try to flash 4066 then reinstall W11 fresh. I guess it's a good start..

How long should I continue to run it?

Megascrypt
Level 7
Keep us updated.
Good luck

Asryan
Level 10
Thanks! Should I let memtest run the 4/4 pass or can I stop it? Gonna go to bed in like 45m and I'm not found of leaving it run all night.

Megascrypt
Level 7
If you going to be and its already running must well leave it, not going to hurt

Asryan
Level 10
Well it passed 3/4 and I stopped It, I guess it's OK?

Asryan wrote:
Well it passed 3/4 and I stopped It, I guess it's OK?

IMHO now you should run TESTMEM5 ANTA EXTREME, you can find it here it will SUPER stress all your ram, DDR4 are very sensible to temperature, Samsung B-Die when overheating start to throws errors.
- CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D (SP97)
- Mobo : ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero // Bios 1801 (AGESA Combo AM5 PI 1.0.8.0)
- GPU : AMD Radeon RX 6700XT (XFX SWFT 309) waiting for 7900XTX/RTX 4090 // Monitor : LG 27GR95QE-B OLED 240Hz
- RAM : 32GB (2*16GB) Corsair Dominator CMT32GX5M2X7800C36 Hynix A-Die @ 6400C28 GDM OFF @1.68V
- SSD : 1* Samsung 980 PRO 1Tb NVMe M.2 PCIe 4.0 x4 + 1* Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA + 1* Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SATA
- CPU cooler : Corsair H150i elite LCD (360mm)
- PSU : Corsair HX850i (OCP multi rail)

Asryan
Level 10
Hello, here's some update:

i've ran a memtest yesterday, 3 pases : 0 error

Updated to bios 4006 (baby steps)
Bios stock for now.
Some questions :

Should I reinstall windows or let it run like this few days to check if there is issues again?

Should i test with occt and if so, should i use stock settings for each of it?
Should i run :
CPU :
Linpack
3D
VRAM
Power

Temps are not great on stock profile with auto voltage but not sure if i should bother again with OC when all is stable..

I had a profile at some point 46 all core at 1.28 which was quite stable but I heard that running fixed voltage on Ryzen isn't recommanded?

Is it better to have a fix voltage or do it in the per ccx setting?
Thanks again.