cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Artifacts in bios and any system doesn't boot

cauter
Level 7
Hi. I have a very strange problem. My pc freezes when I worked, after reboot system doesn't start, stops on white cursor after bios logo. After I entered in a bios, I've seen artifacts. Trying to reset settings, reflash bios on same or newer version, that has no result. Tried to use one of two RAMs, nothing changes. Also I tried to repair a bootloader, but win10 usb stick stops booting on the same place, on cursor. Tried a linux image-freezes on the beginning. Theese images boots fine on my notebook. Also I tried another videocard by hdmi and vga on another monitor, the same artifacts. Guys in service centre said that they can't repeat my problem on my mobo and their cpu, gpu and ram. All worked fine sth. about half year, so any ideas, what can it be?
Ryzen 1700x
C6H
Kingston ssdnow
Kingston hx426c15fb/8 *2
4 REPLIES 4

cauter
Level 7
Any ideas?

Korth
Level 14
Display artifacts in BIOS suggest your GPU card (or processor iGPU) is malfunctioning or defective.
The CPU might be incorrectly mounted or defective, the DDR4 might be incompatible or misconfigured or defective, can't rule those out, but they seem unlikely at a glance.

If it was only a problem with the video signal cable then there would still be visual artifacts but the PC would still boot.

You can try reseating your GPU card.

What Q-Code or Q-LEDs are displayed when the PC fails to boot? What are the system temps, is anything overheating?

What are your system hardware specs, especially GPU and PSU?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Display artifacts in BIOS suggest your GPU card (or processor iGPU) is malfunctioning or defective.
The CPU might be incorrectly mounted or defective, the DDR4 might be incompatible or misconfigured or defective, can't rule those out, but they seem unlikely at a glance.

If it was only a problem with the video signal cable then there would still be visual artifacts but the PC would still boot.

You can try reseating your GPU card.

What Q-Code or Q-LEDs are displayed when the PC fails to boot? What are the system temps, is anything overheating?

What are your system hardware specs, especially GPU and PSU?

Tried two different gpu cards, they were installed normally. Tried two different monitors with different interfaces. Nothing else especially cpu, gpu and ram was installed during tests. Any overheating, 30-40-50 degrees max. In my opinion, it can be mobo or cpu. Anything else was changed in tests. Also, post codes are normal, like before a problem.

Syaoran
Level 7
GPU is what came to my mind as well when i read the thread title. If you don't think it is the GPU or CPU and do think it is the motherboard. Pull the CMOS battery with no power to the system, put a jumper to clear the CMOS for a good couple of minutes, then use the recovery BIOS flash to reflash the BIOS.
Syaoran