cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD OC guide thread

Raja
Level 13
The first of our OC guides is now live. This one is aimed primarily at extreme overclocking, but has some good info for normal usage, too. Expectations for overclocking frequencies and voltage requirements are all defined, as well as handy hints for troubleshooting via motherboard POST codes. A worthy read:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cyc9ns24gwwploo/C6H_XOC_Guide_v03.pdf

A normal overclocking guide may follow at a later date - assuming there is something of merit to write about. CPU overclocking is limited by the architecture itself. Unless yields improve, 4GHz is the expected frequency for most samples. Memory overclocking is limited by AMD's firmware.

Be sensible when purchasing a memory kit for the platform. Stick with kits rated below DDR4-3000, and bear in mind that kits binned on Intel platforms may not achieve their rated timings and frequency on the AMD platform.
63 REPLIES 63

sorena wrote:
Hi buddies
I'm going to overclock my 1700x up to 4Gh. My Mobo is Asus Rog Crosshair Vl Hero and my Rams is 16 GB Geil EvoX 3200 CL 16.
I want to reach to 4Gh CPU clock using 3200 ram frequency.
As I'm beginner in overclocking area, plz explain clearly how i can do it.
Tnx

Google is your friend...

this forum is for more specific problems.

MrPhil17
Level 7
Hi all,
I've some issue to solve when i try to overclock. I've noticed that i need to raise 1.8V PLL to 1,9V to be full stable with 4GHz and ram set to 3200MHz. If i keep it at stock frequency it work with 1,8V. Is it normal?

My current settings are:
1700x @ 4GHz @ 1,4V with LLC4
SOC @ 1,15V
PLL @ 1,9V
RAM @ 1,35V

Would be nice if someone can tell me some trick for keep it at 1,8V with 4GHz oc because temps raise pretty fast.

MrPhil17 wrote:
Hi all,
I've some issue to solve when i try to overclock. I've noticed that i need to raise 1.8V LLC to 1,9V to be full stable with 4GHz and ram set to 3200MHz. If i keep it at stock frequency it work with 1,8V. Is it normal?

Would be nice if someone can tell me some trick for keep it at 1,8V with 4GHz oc because temps raise pretty fast.

#EDIT after riginal post has been editet:
So your vcore is 1,4 volts and your LLC is set to 4.

In my case, also a 1700x, i have never got it working stable on 4GHz on my Prime x-370 pro.
No matter how high of a voltage i put on the CPU, it just won't hold through a stresstest. Guess we have bad luck in the silicon lottery.
So i backed down to 39,5 GHz on 1,375 volts with LLC level 2. Perfectly stable.
RAM running on 3200 MHz with 1,35 volts.

Hi,

wich CPU on wich mainboard? Are you talking about VCORE wenn you talk about 1,8 volts?
If so, i would NEVER put so much volts on your CPU, this is waaaayy to high.

LLC just enables a maintanance of higher voltages on your CPU to prevent volts from dropping under load and thus causing system instability. Your base voltages are set in the tweaker section of your bios. The higher the LLC you set, the higher of a voltages plus ON TOP OF your base voltages the mainboard will maintain on the CPU.

Ryzen CPU's tend to run stable anywhere from 1,3 to 1,45/1,5 VCORE voltages with LLC level 1 or 2, all depending on high your overclock is and on your silicon.
Any voltages higher than that, you will be frying your CPU fast!

Lightbringer wrote:
#EDIT after riginal post has been editet:
So your vcore is 1,4 volts and your LLC is set to 4.

In my case, also a 1700x, i have never got it working stable on 4GHz on my Prime x-370 pro.
No matter how high of a voltage i put on the CPU, it just won't hold through a stresstest. Guess we have bad luck in the silicon lottery.
So i backed down to 39,5 GHz on 1,375 volts with LLC level 2. Perfectly stable.
RAM running on 3200 MHz with 1,35 volts.

I just want to know if there are some magic setting to keep PLL to 1,8V if i overclock to 4GHz because i have to raise it to 1,9V. Of course, since it's well known, with PLL voltage increased beyond 1,8V temps goes really high...

With 1.8V temps reach 65/67°c under Aida64 stress test which is very good, but it find a hardware failure after a couple of minutes. I tried to play some games (BF1, Rocket League, GTA 5, Overwatch) and convert some videos with Handbrake and it work without issue for hours.
If i set it to 1,9V temps reach 80°c and it keep running with no issue. Games still works tho.

Christ.. 1.8v?

My 1800X overclocks to 4Ghz all cores at 1.286 volts and to 4.2Ghz at 1.35 (which is actually the stated voltage of the CPU in the CPU information in BIOS) I wouldn't have thought a 1700X was all that far away from an 1800X. I would think 1.8v is WAY to high for these CPUs...

FredSAS wrote:
Christ.. 1.8v?

My 1800X overclocks to 4Ghz all cores at 1.286 volts and to 4.2Ghz at 1.35 (which is actually the stated voltage of the CPU in the CPU information in BIOS) I wouldn't have thought a 1700X was all that far away from an 1800X. I would think 1.8v is WAY to high for these CPUs...

it's PLL voltage, not Vcore. lol

Here's my 10c as a beginner in overclocking the Ryzen. My system specs are in the profile.

For my OC I used two guides: ASUS B350 & X370 Ryzen Overclocking Walkthrough and Guide to P State (Variable Frequency) Overclocking on the Crosshair vi Hero. I highly advise going through both guides before starting to OC your Ryzen.

I went through 3 different OC methods:
1. Fixed voltage and CPU speed
2. Offset voltage and fixed CPU speed
3. P-state overclocking

I'll shortly explain positive and negative side for each of the 3 methods. Please do mind that my knowledge in OC is limited and if there are any mistakes I hope that other forum members will point them out and provide correct(ed) information. In all three methods I used my RAM with approapriate D.O.C.P. at 3200MHz. I didn't manually change any settings for the RAM. The BIOS set RAM values for: 14-14-14-34 T1 with 1.350v.

Before starting to OC you should update the BIOS to the latest stable version!

To test if OC of the CPU was successful I used AIDA64 Extreme (Trial) and Prime95. Each of the testing tools I run for 30-40 minutes. If I didn't get a crash I concluded that the CPU OC is stable. If I got a crash I went back to BIOS and changed appropriate settings.

1. Fixed voltage and CPU speed
+ Easiest to set.
- CPU is constantly under same voltage and speed (spends more electricity, produces more heat and degrades faster).

There are two approaches to this method: a) choose the speed you want for your CPU and find the appropriate voltage needed or b) choose the voltage you want to use and find the maximum speed under which the CPU is stable with the set voltage. I decided for the b) option.

First I decided that I don't wont to go above 1.35v with my Ryzen. On many places people discuss what are the safe voltages for the Ryzen and I'm not going to go into that. I just decided that for me the limit is 1.35v. In the advanced BIOS (use F7 to switch between advanced and simple view) under Extreme Tweaker menu I set the "CPU Core Voltage" to manual and its value to 1.35v. After that in the same menu I changed "Custom CPU Core Ratio" to manual and set its value to 38 (default multiplier is 100 so you multiply the number you enter with 100 and you'll get CPU speed).

For me that was it. After running Prime and AIDA I confirmed that the CPU can run the speed of 3.8GHz under 1.35v. I tired to increase the speed but it wasn't stable. I managed to lower the voltage to 1.32 for the same stability.

That was it for this part. Rather simple and straight forward, right? 🙂

2. Offset voltage and fixed CPU speed
+ CPU will have variable voltage load.
+/- Easier than P-state but more complex than fixed voltage and CPU speed.
- CPU is forced to run at same frequency so voltages won't go as low as they could when CPU isn't used much.

For this section make sure you watch the youtube video at the beginning of this post.

From fixed method I knew that my CPU could run 3.8GHz with 1.32v. Than I loaded default values in the BIOS, applied appropriate D.O.C.P. for my RAM and decided to find the offset value. I set the "CPU Core Ratio" to 38 (same as in method 1) and for "CPU Core Voltage" I set "Offset mode", for the "CPU Offset Mode Sign" I choose "+" and started my path to find stable offset value. I started with 0.09v but that wasn't enough (testing with Prime and AIDA crashed the PC). After several iterations I stopped at 0.11250v as "CPU Core Voltage Offset" which was required for my CPU to reach stable 3.8 GHz.

And that's it for this part 🙂

3. P-state overclocking
+ CPU will wary in both voltage and speed in accordance to its load.
- Requires most time to properly setup and is the most complex of the three methods.

Finally I decided I want my CPU to run under as low voltage as needed when it isn't being used by the system. I knew my offset settings and speed from first two methods so p-state OC was rather simple following the guide provided by tom_w141on LTT forum.

Again, I loaded BIOS defaults, set appropriate D.O.C.P. for my RAM and started to follow the guide to get my CPU overclocked with p-state.

I went to Advanced menu and there went to "AMD CBS" >> "Zen Common Options" >> "Custom Pstates" >> Throttiling and set my "Custom Pstate0" to "Custom" with following settings: Pstate0 FID 98, Pstate0 DID 8 (which is default value for R7 1700) and Pstate0 VID to 3A (also default value for R7 1700). Depending on the CPU speed and CPU you have those values will vary so please check the linked guide!

After setting the p-state I went back to Extreme Tweaker menu and set the offset as in method 2.

I tested the stability and all was perfect 🙂

Do note that in both of the guides there are some extra options which you can tune in the BIOS for your system to run smoother and more stable. From those options I used:

• In "Extreme Tweaker" I set "Core Perf. Boost" to DISABLE
  • In "Extreme Tweaker" >> "External Digi+ Power Control" >> "CPU Load Line Cal." I set to LEVEL 1
  • In "Advanced" >> "AMD CBS" >> "Global c-state" I set it to ENABLE
  • In "Boot" >> "CSM" >> "Launch CSM" I set to DISABLE

Hope this guide will help you in OC 🙂

Vlada011
Level 10
AMD Promise better OC with Ryzen 7 2800X and IPC.
There was some fake news about 12cores, 5.1GHz, etc...
So high frequency and so many cores are not real for this AMD Generation even for next but they could seriously to improve processor.

Win for me would be AMD 8 cores capable to work on 4.5GHz with watercooling.
That would be Pure Win for me. With price of 450-500$, that mean they are avaialble and for 400$ somewhere that would be fantastic replacement for Intel problems.
You can't get excellent processor these days if he is not capable to work at least 4.3-4.5GHz and 8C/16T.
5.0GHz is maybe best for games, but I would like more little lower frequency and little more cores. That's complete product than.
You not lose to much in game with lower frequency than 4.-8-5.0GHz. But shouldn't go below 4.3GHz at all.

SIMONHANDLEY1
Level 7
I have a question, currently my motherboard settings are configured at 3.775 GHz for my 1700, the memory is 2666 MHz, what I would like to know is how I save this configuration in my favourites, just in case I change something and want to revert back to this setting. I am sure it's simple, just need some guidance.

Thanks.

Simon.

In BIOS select Tool menu - there are save and load profile options.