cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD OC guide thread

Raja
Level 13
The first of our OC guides is now live. This one is aimed primarily at extreme overclocking, but has some good info for normal usage, too. Expectations for overclocking frequencies and voltage requirements are all defined, as well as handy hints for troubleshooting via motherboard POST codes. A worthy read:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cyc9ns24gwwploo/C6H_XOC_Guide_v03.pdf

A normal overclocking guide may follow at a later date - assuming there is something of merit to write about. CPU overclocking is limited by the architecture itself. Unless yields improve, 4GHz is the expected frequency for most samples. Memory overclocking is limited by AMD's firmware.

Be sensible when purchasing a memory kit for the platform. Stick with kits rated below DDR4-3000, and bear in mind that kits binned on Intel platforms may not achieve their rated timings and frequency on the AMD platform.
63 REPLIES 63

Raja, thanks for the reply.
In no way I'm blaming you guys about memory issue. You already explained it in detail in other thread. I just had a dig at AMD, that's all.
I bought this ram because i had some information which pointed at very good IMC, and I'm still standing by that info, thus a dig at AMD with their somewhat incompetence. The fact that ram is rated at 4000mhz is not an issue since i can always run ram at whatever platform supports max and just tighten timings as much as i can. As it is right now with 3200mhz I'm already quite ahead of whatever i managed with Intel's x99 platform, and at current state 370x platform is murdering my x99 system left and right even with all the teething issues present. I think Intel will be in huge dodo when everything is ironed out 😉

Raja@ASUS wrote:
A few things:
With this platform, people were so eager to have a change from Intel (in one form or another), that they gave up the better side of their discerning nature to jump on the bandwagon.

I got a good laugh from this reminds me of what just happened.......

I want to build a Ryzen system but waiting for the bios stuff to be worked out. I think that I use the prime b350-plus motherboard. How long do you think it will be before we have a stable bios for that motherboard? I'm guessing that you guys get the ROG boards working first. If you can't give me any time frames maybe you can tell me what signs to look for.

thanks

zorin1 wrote:
I got a good laugh from this reminds me of what just happened.......

I want to build a Ryzen system but waiting for the bios stuff to be worked out. I think that I use the prime b350-plus motherboard. How long do you think it will be before we have a stable bios for that motherboard? I'm guessing that you guys get the ROG boards working first. If you can't give me any time frames maybe you can tell me what signs to look for.

thanks

I honestly do not know. It depends what you want to do with the platform, too. Overclocking of any form are where most of the issues lie. If it's just a basic system, perhaps 1-2 months more would be a good idea.

so just incase some of you have been wondering what and how i know in Aida64 cache memory benchmark that my SoC voltage is off i will show you
this is bad SoC voltage

this is what a good stable SoC voltage will look like

that is not the best looking test's i have ran but it shows what too high or too low Soc will look like
i do not remember exact voltages to those runs however it does not matter because
you're going to start with 0.95 SoC voltage with 2666 ram
if you are attempting to run your rams high xmp rating set ram for its own rated voltage and do not go over that
you do not and should not ever have to if you have not reached your rams rated clock speed!!
it can and most always does hurt performance
in bios my ram wuz set to 2666..as you can see the bclk is 102.2 ..... all timings are set to 14-14-14-14-32-cr1(bios version 1001)
when testing for max ram clock and stability i do this,
first thing is you have to find and set a KNOWN! STABLE cpu clock speed and voltage set bclk to 100.00 SoC voltage set to 0.95 ..i then set manually prescribed settings for ram timings and clocks .. i got 3000 mhz so i set it no boot i drop ram 2933 no boot drop ram 2666 booted while trying to boot high ram xmp setting i do not absolutely do not change any voltage....you want to find and are looking for maximum boot level and performance before worrying about crazy fast speeds those that can't start here at stock or at where they can boot at stock voltages will most likely be overvolting something or everything on their system ......before i even worry bout testing in cache mem test
i run the aida64(A64) stress test on ram only i started at 2666 set voltage to 1.35/stock 3000 mhz voltage..
booted
run A64 stress test ram only and wait for 15 minutes this is not a stability test
i then go to bios and drop voltage one click.. and boot back up and run the stress test for 15 minutes again and i keep doing that until i get issues booting or it fails the test ...i then bump it up one time......once it makes 15 minutes i will let it run longer ...about a hour is all i give it
once the ram is stable like this i will then run the A64 cache mem test
this test is very helpful when tuning voltages i have myself just started learning how to use this test like i could on the am3 platform
so feel free to corect me and or add to this if im wrong about something
the first mem test will tell you a lot ......
but we will start with cpu voltage
when looking for a good strong vcore cpu voltage look at l1 cache
most if not all Ryzen 1800x at 4ghz will be in the 900 to 999gb/s range on l1 read and copy
and 490's to 500 gb/s on write but it will very from board to board im sure
to tune this voltage using aida go into bios and and raise vcore one click ....by one click i mean hit the + one time adding ONE click
i can not stress this enough ...if you do not take time to do this you will not ever maximize you overclocks ..and to me not maximize the performance of a overclock setting kind of defeats the purpose of overclocking any way......
sorry rant over...lol....
but any how you do one click at a time and take a screenshot of each test and save them to compare
if you pay attention to the numbers you will learn and see what vcore changes which is mostly l1, but does have effects on ram also...however slightly
when you see that l1 cache is not going up any more from raising voltage you can back down till you see it drop and raise it one time(some need two clicks up) ....guarantee stability 😉
then we will move on to ram ..and ram is tricky .....
this applies to all ram even after our bios gets strait this tune method works wonderfully
like i said we set all our stock settings and found a bootable ram clock at prescribed ram settings
we seen what the numbers look like in the cache mem test and we got it stable at lower then stock setting voltage
presuming stock high xmp did not set..... if stock xmp did set it is still advised to find low ram voltage
and this same methods still apply first thing we do now is
play with timings ....i love the timing page on the C6h it's a simple spot for base timings ....
find timings for ram at the level of clock speed you are at set those timings if you start with 2666 find timings for 2666 from same ram manufacturer as the ram you got...did it boot ...no the raise timings at this time we do not change any voltage at all ...we are looking for lowest timings at this voltage...
once you get timings set and that show stable and a cache mem test is done we will start raising ram voltage and comparing screen shots of the cache mem test to decide when we find a voltage we like .....via the strongest scores we can get .....
always run this test with nothing else in the background you want the same testing environment every time!!!
then after we find the best voltage for ram wee play with the l3 ram cache scores by changing SoC voltage
we started with 0.95 most of you should be able to get anything up to 3200 to work on 0.95 some might need to be higher
but as you can see by the test it can affect performance insanely you want to play with this voltage
in fact i went one click testing all the way to 1.25 and i have found that for my system with 2666 to 2725
high SoC voltage did not help me get my ram clocks any higher and in fact 0.956 or thereabouts is my perfect SoC voltage
the IMC on this 1800x is strong regardless of what other people are saying out there on the internet i can't confirm it because i have not researched it mostly cuz i dont have any but i am will to bet a 3200mhz 16gb kit of ram will boot and run with 0.95 voltage.....that SoC voltage is more then likely the reason people are killing their boards and or cpu's ....even Raja here on these forums says to keep SoC under 1.15 volts .....he does not say it cuz he is just guessing or throwing out a number .....this cpu don't need to be higher and it's a killer on performance ,
i hope this helps some of you get the best out of your cpu...i hope this gives those of you a new way or your first way on tuning and understanding what it is to truly maximize your overclocks.
i will add sometime when changing voltages to maximize performance your scores are going to go down before going up sometimes .....it is best to test up to you know it's not getting any better or maybe even the entire spectrum of min to max safe voltages...
that way you know without a doubt you're getting the most out of your oc ......and i find it interesting going threw all voltages anyway
ONE CLICK AT A TIME AND ONLY ONE VOLTAGE SETTING AT A TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@PMDemoniacstar: Thanks for your introducing.
How did you find your best cpu ratio afterall? Can you send your final BIOS settings?

What i had understand:

Step 1: Find at first the lowest DRAM voltage with max. bootable DRAM Clock . (2666MHZ @1.35V)
Step 2: Find lowest stable CPU core voltage, starting at 1.35V with 3Ghz.

What is the next step?

Right?

thanks.

Teutone wrote:
@PMDemoniacstar: Thanks for your introducing.
How did you find your best cpu ratio afterall? Can you send your final BIOS settings?

What i had understand:

Step 1: Find at first the lowest DRAM voltage with max. bootable DRAM Clock . (2666MHZ @1.35V)
Step 2: Find lowest stable CPU core voltage, starting at 1.35V with 3Ghz.

What is the next step?

Right?

thanks.

4ghz cpu settings at 1.35 ....that cpu will do fricken 3ghz on less then 1.25 lol.....and i surely hope your not running 3 ghz on 1.35
i do have the 1800x
so if you got anything else your max oc may or may not be different then mine
this is not really a overclocking guide it is more of a voltage tuning guide !
my bios settings are going to be different then your bios setting ......
no two systems are alike .....this is a way to find your best voltage after finding max clock settings
if you got 3 ghz from what i said .,....maybe you need to read all that again...a little slower this time

once lowest voltages are found you can then play with ram timing this is mainly about getting the max outa you ram ...sence we are still waiting on the bios that unleashes the beast within.....
before anything gets overclocked any farther ....timings ....
once timings are found
you then start to raise bclk
one click at a time
test...
i got my 3000 ram to 2725 with a bclk of 102.200
and started with 2666
and like i said if your ram is not hitting max clock speeds it won't need no more voltage and do not take it above stock high xmp voltage it does not need it......i can help you with a method of tweaking for best performance ......i can't do it for you , i do not know your system
i do not know your ram ........

gupsterg
Level 13
Ryzen: Strictly technical by The Stilt.

Delidding Ryzen: Is AMD Ryzen 7 soldered or not? by der8auer.

AMD Ryzen Direct Die Cooling - Improvements? by der8auer.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Spoilers:

Yes, it's soldered
No, don't delid your RYZEN CPU

😛

Raja
Level 13
Understood. Things are progressing, but nobody knows how far they can ultimately go. To get any further with the IMC, board vendors need a lot more access to the registers.