cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD OC guide thread

Raja
Level 13
The first of our OC guides is now live. This one is aimed primarily at extreme overclocking, but has some good info for normal usage, too. Expectations for overclocking frequencies and voltage requirements are all defined, as well as handy hints for troubleshooting via motherboard POST codes. A worthy read:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cyc9ns24gwwploo/C6H_XOC_Guide_v03.pdf

A normal overclocking guide may follow at a later date - assuming there is something of merit to write about. CPU overclocking is limited by the architecture itself. Unless yields improve, 4GHz is the expected frequency for most samples. Memory overclocking is limited by AMD's firmware.

Be sensible when purchasing a memory kit for the platform. Stick with kits rated below DDR4-3000, and bear in mind that kits binned on Intel platforms may not achieve their rated timings and frequency on the AMD platform.
63 REPLIES 63

AMD_Guy wrote:
Bad choice of wording based on old(er) information on my part.. in the past Single Rank/Dual Rank was commonly used in conjunction with Single Sided/Double Sided ram. In fact "rank" actually refers to how the memory is organized (structured)/accessed.

A rank is a data block typically a width of 64 bits (72 when using error correction)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_rank
http://forum.crucial.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/dram@tkb/article-id/71
https://www.oempcworld.com/support/singlevsdualram.html

Dual rank usually = slower due to having having to access 2x

Best described here

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-03/amd-ryzen-1800x-1700x-1700-test/#abschnitt_der_neue_speichercont...

"As an example, say a chip has eight memory lines, eight chips are required to reach the 64 bits. A single-rank module therefore needs eight chips. the same configuration in dual rank, twice as many chips must be present in order to enable 64 bits. For the same module capacity this would require twice as many memory chips with half the capacity would be sufficient to achieve this goal."

Are the (2) 16 gb G.Skil modules I just purchased dual ranked or single ranked? I have no idea.

os2wiz wrote:
Are the (2) 16 gb G.Skil modules I just purchased dual ranked or single ranked? I have no idea.

IF they have the white stickers on the stick/package , look for a 1R or 2R (refer to the 2 links provided earlier, one to Crucial)..otherwise your best bet is sending an email to GSkill with your SKU/product #s and asking.

os2wiz wrote:

If you download the latest version of CPUz (1.78.3) then go to SPD tab, you will see the rank shown (this if from AMD 9370/Asus CH5-z .. DDR3 system)

AMD_Guy wrote:
No word yet if its a limit of AMD's memory controller (on die) or of the 370 chipset (designed by Asmedia), however currently only single sided/single rank DIMMs in Dual Channel mode support 2666+

These are just frequency expectations, not hard limits that have anything to do with the what the ASmedia chipset supports. AMD's guidelines are based on averages across all vendor boards combined - including the "lemons." Overclocking centric boards teamed with a good CPU and memory kit can fare better (assuming the user has some nous).

Is there a way to tune the NB frequency on Ryzen like the old Thuban/Deneb processors? If it were tuneable would it even make any difference on X370?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
RAM incoming for this platform

https://www.gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-announces-flare-x-series-and-fortis-series-ddr4-memory-...

OMG. 64GB @3200 with 14/14/14/34 .. YES PLEASE !!

AMD_Guy wrote:
OMG. 64GB @3200 with 14/14/14/34 .. YES PLEASE !!

Yes some nice RAM coming...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Yes some nice RAM coming...

What's the point of the ram if ASUS is saying that AMD locked the frequencies out 😄
I just wonder what is the reasoning of this nanny state like attitude towards memory frequencies?
OCing is not guarantied as well, yet we don't see hard locked multi at 40x? It is especially weird to see these hard locks on ROG motherboards.
I bought Corsair 4000Mhz modules for Ryzen release. They did not even dropped a sweat when I clocked them to 3200Mhz. So clearly there is not much need to be waiting for AMD AMP coded modules to arrive. Though seeing RAM prices now I wouldn't blame anyone for waiting for better prices and more variation on RAM modules.

muziqaz wrote:
What's the point of the ram if ASUS is saying that AMD locked the frequencies out 😄
I just wonder what is the reasoning of this nanny state like attitude towards memory frequencies?
OCing is not guarantied as well, yet we don't see hard locked multi at 40x? It is especially weird to see these hard locks on ROG motherboards.
I bought Corsair 4000Mhz modules for Ryzen release. They did not even dropped a sweat when I clocked them to 3200Mhz. So clearly there is not much need to be waiting for AMD AMP coded modules to arrive. Though seeing RAM prices now I wouldn't blame anyone for waiting for better prices and more variation on RAM modules.

A few things:

1) The number of available ratios on any platform depends on the architecture and how much async margin it allows between bus domains. Only AMD would know what is possible at the hardware layer and where the internal buffers and buses reach their async limit (can be caused by a number of things).

2) Given there is no access to most of the memory timings yet, one should not be surprised at the maximum working ratio.

These things may change with time, but you need to be realistic. Nobody is purposely blocking something from happening. On this platform, it's almost always going to be one of two things: not yet ready, or not possible.

3) Why did you buy a DDR4-4000 memory kit for this platform? You made an assumption, that's why. If you've been building PCs for a few years, you know that supported memory speeds can vary from platform to platform. And if you didn't, you do now. Hopefully, you will take your time and assess things before you buy. Always best to sit back and watch the dust settle before taking the plunge.

With this platform, people were so eager to have a change from Intel (in one form or another), that they gave up the better side of their discerning nature to jump on the bandwagon.