cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32GB kit for Crosshair VII Hero

erefer
Level 7
Hi there, could you recommend me a working 32gb kit for Crosshair VII Hero?
I'd appreciate the answer from someone who has this board and uses 32gb without problems.
I want to buy DDR4 3200 C14 but I haven't found anything in the QVL list and I am afraid that I will buy it and don't work.
15 REPLIES 15

gorpo
Level 7
You're welcome.

From the link you posted:

DR modules can often be a smidge faster thanks to a capability called “rank interleaving,” wherein the second memory rank can still perform work while the first is being refreshed for use. However, DR modules are often harder for a system to drive to high frequency, which is why most high-performance memory kits use multiple 4GB or 8GB SR memory sticks. The extra frequency achievable by the SR memory modules is often enough to overcome the small performance benefit of DR DIMMs, too.

And the conclusions:
Conclusion #1: Dual rank DIMMs (yellow) offered the best performance amongst “set and forget” (light blue, orange, yellow) memory configured automatically by XMP profiles.
Conclusion #1a: But the increased overclocking headroom of single rank modules was more than enough to overpower the benefits of rank interleaving, so manually-tuned single rank DDR4-3200 and 3466 won the day (dark blue and green).

Personally I prefer to "set and forget". For those who want the max performance, and don't mind investing the time to tune settings, single rank still seems like the way to go. But for 32GB+ capacity, the point is moot, since either 4 DIMMs and/or dual rank is necessary.

syldon
Level 9
Elmor stated that for the CH7 2 x 16 is better a long time back. I moved from the CH6 to the CH7. I used 4 x 8 on the CH6 with relatively few issues on earlier bios revision. On the later revisions I found I was one strap down. I couldn't get beyond 3333 with 4 sticks.
On the CH7 I couldn't get any sort of stability at 3333 with 4x8. So I gave up on trying with 4 sticks after that. This was using Sammy b die rated at 4000mhz.

So if you are really insistent on 32gb then 2x16 is the way to go. Max speeds is reckoned at 3333.

syldon wrote:
Elmor stated that for the CH7 2 x 16 is better a long time back. I moved from the CH6 to the CH7. I used 4 x 8 on the CH6 with relatively few issues on earlier bios revision. On the later revisions I found I was one strap down. I couldn't get beyond 3333 with 4 sticks.
On the CH7 I couldn't get any sort of stability at 3333 with 4x8. So I gave up on trying with 4 sticks after that. This was using Sammy b die rated at 4000mhz.

So if you are really insistent on 32gb then 2x16 is the way to go. Max speeds is reckoned at 3333.

Out of curiosity, do you know what the max speeds are currently for 4 x 16GB ?

gorpo wrote:
Out of curiosity, do you know what the max speeds are currently for 4 x 16GB ?

I don't remember seeing anyone post a set up that works with 4x16. There is a post regarding 2x2x16 that works though.

Edited to correct memory size.

gorpo
Level 7
For a second I thought you meant 2 x 32GB modules...

So it's interesting. Someone got 2 x F4-3200C14D-32GTZ (same kit as I have) working with a 1800X at 3333 MT/s on a C6H. But later someone with the 2700X and a quad stick kit got only to 2933 on a gigabyte x470 aorus gaming 7, though that is the rated spec for their F4-2933C14Q-64GFX.

gorpo wrote:
For a second I thought you meant 2 x 32GB modules...

So it's interesting. Someone got 2 x F4-3200C14D-32GTZ (same kit as I have) working with a 1800X at 3333 MT/s on a C6H. But later someone with the 2700X and a quad stick kit got only to 2933 on a gigabyte x470 aorus gaming 7, though that is the rated spec for their F4-2933C14Q-64GFX.

Sorry, it is 2x16 x2. It was just a post I found while looking for another. I was certain someone had posted on the CH6 post with 64gb set up. I couldn't find it though. This one just came up in the search.